Let's Celebrate Pollinators!
Birds, bats, bees, butterflies, beetles, and other small mammals that pollinate plants are included in this group of amazing beings. Share your enthusiasm by celebrating National Pollinator Week from June 19-25, 2016. Here's why we think so highly of pollinators.
The main reasons why pollinators are the bomb:
- Pollinators provide pollination services to over 180,000 different plant species and more than 1200 crops. That means pollinators are responsible for 1 out of 3 bites of food we take each day.
- Pollinating animals travel from plant to plant carrying pollen on their bodies in a vital interaction that allows the transfer of genetic material critical to the reproductive system of most flowering plants.
- Pollinators provide pollination services to over 180,000 different plant species and more than 1200 crops.
- If we want to talk dollars and cents, pollinators add 217 billion dollars to the global economy.
- Honey bees alone are responsible for between 1.2 and 5.4 billion dollars in agricultural productivity in the United States.
- Pollinators support healthy ecosystems that clean the air, stabilize soils, protect from sever weather, and support other wildlife.
Enjoy these photos of beautiful pollinators throughout our nursery.
#pollinatorweek #pollination #Sacramentonursery