SMARTSCAPE PLANTS – Are plants whose water requirements can be fulfilled by the amount of rainfall of their climate (Sacramento Area) once they are acclimated.
Smartscape plants are normally called “water-wise” plants. Smartscape or water-wise plants are generally low maintenance and look good in a 'naturalized' type landscape like the example to the right. Drought tolerant plant selections used to be difficult to find or mostly mundane, unattractive plants. However, due to the demand for low water plants increasing, we now have horticultural gems from all over the world to choose from.
Take a look at these new plant introductions...
Now you can have colorful plants that are waterwise and attractive year around. These plants help turn your yard or containers into smarter landscaped area.
1. Gomphrena Balboa
Gomphrena hybrid ‘Balboa’
Masses of button-shaped flowers in pink appear from summer to Frost. The pink flowers radiate out in dark flower stars that have a touch of Orange on the tip hardy down to 10 degrees. Easy to grow and tolerates periods of drought once it is established.
- Thrives in hot conditions.
- Full sun against a wall or near a sidewalk.
- Great for a butterfly garden since it attracts lots of butterflies.
- The flowers make an excellent cut flower!
- Great for a focal point (Thriller) in a container!
- Gomphrena Grows 8-16” high and wide.
- This plant is part of the Proven Winner series!
2. Red Rod Emu Bush
This water wise beauty grows where there is great drainage and requires an area where there is no standing water after rains.
- The Red Rod Emu Bush responds well to pruning.
- Stems can be used in flower arrangements.
- The pinky red tubular flowers bloom late into summer.
- It's native to Western Australia
- It grows 2 feet tall and 2 feet wide and can be shaped into a hedge
- It’s flowers attract birds!
3. Germander ‘Azure Blue’
Teucrium fruticans ‘Azure Blue’
This deer resistant upright evergreen shrub has gray green leaves with silvery white undersides. Beautiful Azure blue flowers are on the plant Spring through Fall.
- This virtually pest free shrub attracts bee’s and hummingbirds.
- The leaves are mildly fragrant.
- Plant Teucrium with other drought tolerant plants like Ceanothus, Manzanita or Lavenders.
- This Mediterranean native grows 4-6 feet tall as well as 4-6’ wide.
Stay tuned for our part 2 to this article with more smartscaping varieties. In the meantime please drop by one of our locations-Contact Us to see our selection.